Well, it's been a while. It hasn't been that I've had nothing to write about, so much as I don't want to write about anything that has been going on in my life. It's been... well, challenging to say the least. I am heartened by what that Nietzsche (yes, I had to look it up to spell it) dude said, "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger." So right about now I am feeling strong like bull.
That being said, I am still enjoying the Christmas season. I love everything about it - the lights, the trees, the decorations. This year has been fun because it will be the first year the kid kinda gets the whole Santa concept. The other day we had this conversation:
KID: Mommy, is Santa here yet?
ME: Umm, no, not yet...
KID: When is he coming?
The only way to answer that question was to take the calendar off the wall, show her what it day it was, and then show her all the days between that day and Christmas. I even drew a Christmas tree on the 25th's square. Then she proceeded to draw all over the whole month, so I'm not really sure she got what I was getting at. (The kid believes if there is something on which she can write, and a some kind of writing implement within her reach, it's fair game. She's going to draw on it.)
So, since it's Christmas, and near the end of the year, it seems an appropriate time to think about some of my favorite things. You know, like raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens? Well, of those, whiskers on kittens might make the list, but but we'll see. It just seems like a good time to think about the good things in my life, not just at Christmas, but in general. I like to believe that the glass really is half full. And who knows, maybe someone else who's down in the dumps will read this and be inspired to do the same thing.
So here it is, in no particular order (are you kidding me, that's way too hard; maybe only my number one will actually be the number one, but that's as far as it goes), some of my favorite things. Since Christmas is the 25th, and the ABC Family Channel is kind enough to have their annual 25 Days of Christmas deal, where they play all those stop-motion Rankin/Bass Christmas specials of my youth and corny Christmas-themed movies, let's just do a list of 25:
25. Facebook: Wow, Facebook is the shiznit. I have had so much fun connecting and reconnecting with old friends, looking at their photos, and reading and making funny comments. The only problem is that it is as addictive as crack. Well, as addictive as I have heard crack is supposed to be. I've never tried crack, crack is whack, after all.
24. My job: I dig it. Who would have thought that a girl who was (and kinda still is) afraid of her own shadow would wind up as a police dispatcher? Not me, that's for sure.
23. Round Table Pizza: I could eat my personal pizza with creamy garlic sauce and olives DAILY. And also, ranch dressing on the side, please. Remember my compulsive overeating blog? My life lately has not really been helping me with my goals, sadly.
22. Sushi: Tuna. Raw. 'Nuff said. Except that I can't believe my parents will not even consider trying it. Remember Green Eggs and Ham, I said. He would not eat it in a box or with a fox at first, and then he said he'd eat it anywhere, after he tried it! My folks weren't buying it.
21. TV and the DVR: Chuck, The Office, 30 Rock, and Burn Notice are a few of my favorites.
20. Seeing snow on a local mountaintop: Seriously, how cool is that?
19. The fact that my pigment and my facial fat has slowed the wrinkling process: Knock wood.
18. Blogging: Even though I haven't done it for a while, I really do enjoy it.
17. Mapquest and similar: How did I get anywhere before?
16. Beer: Hefeweizen, Corona, and Bud Light With Lime 'specially.
15. Wine: Reds 'specially, but I'm extremely not picky.
14. Waxed eyebrows: Have you seen my eyebrows prior to the fall of 1999? Why did people let me walk around like for 29 years?
13. Acrylic nails: The only way I can have fingernails. No hangnails, no peeling, no chipping, no splitting. And I like to have them painted with the same color almost every time, "Dark Secret." Wow, doesn't that sound so mysterious?
12. Books: I have always loved them and will always love them, even if it takes me one million years to read them sometimes. I was doing really well there for a while recently, and now I've sort of been in a non-reading mood. When I'm in kind of a dark place, books do not distract me well enough, so instead I wind up playing a bunch of computer games or watching TV. But I really do love to read.
11. The fact that my kid loves books: Soooo awesome.
10. My kid's hair: Beautiful curls and a beautiful color, I could not have planned it any better.
9. George Clooney: Just take a look at the guy. He keeps getting hotter and hotter. I am pretty sure none of his relationships ever last too long because he's waiting for me.
8. See's Candy: Please, do not put it within arm's reach. I'm begging you.
7. Singing: With Sassy Sisters, in the car, in the shower, by myself with the karaoke machine, wherever. As long as I can remember it has given me great joy and I hope it always will.
6. Christmas: See above, and add A Christmas Story, It's a Wonderful Life, Home Alone, get-togethers with family and friends, and driving around and looking for lights (and saying, accidentally, "HOLY CRAP!," and then a few houses later having your kid yell from her car seat, "HOLY CRAP!").
5. Movies: Even though I get to the theater almost never (unless a kid's movie is out), I will always love the experience of watching a movie in a theater, especially one with a lot of people with whom to laugh, gasp, cry, and applaud. Yes, I've applauded in the theater, and yes, I know the actors can't hear, but so what, sue me.
4. E-mail: The ONLY way I have managed to keep in touch with people, since I do not like to talk on the phone. I love e-mail so much, if it were a boy I'd marry it.
3. My friends: They kick ass. I'm a lucky girl.
2. My family: Especially Mom. I'm a super lucky girl. Knowing they are always there for me has carried me through a lot.
1. My kid: Wow. I've pretty much already written about how much I dig her. Unbelievable how she gets better and better and more and more entertaining. She knocks me out.
I'm sure that as soon as I get this posted I will think of all kinds of things that will be on this list and are not, but hey, I threw it together in like half an hour so I won't beat myself up about it too much. And again, it's definitely not in order. I love my kid's hair way more than George Clooney and See's Candy.
So think about your favorite things. Be thankful for them; go and do them (you know, if it's an activity, not a person, though in some cases that might be applicable... ), go and see them, send them a note, or give them a great big hug and kiss.
Merry Christmas, to all of you and yours.