Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Attitude AND Gratitude

Guys, this has been such a weird time for me. If you read my last post, you know my dad passed away on October 6th. So that was awful. And since then, in addition to having these times that I'm incredibly sad (nighttime is the worst) I find that I have NO PATIENCE. Like, none. As in, stuff that would normally just minimally chap my hide is making me feel like a crazy ass nutbag and like I want to punch someone in the face or kick them in the 'nads. Not anyone specific (usually), just in general.

So yeah, that's not really a good thing. To that end, I'm about to get set up for some couch time so I can talk about that. And talk about other stuff that makes me nutty, as well. Like stuffing my face all the dang time even though I know it's not a good idea. I might also talk about men. They're challenging, as some of you know. I'm sure there are other things I can think of to talk about for eight free sessions (hooray for an employee assistance program, yo). I mean, if you know me, you know I'm pretty much never at a loss for words. That's pretty rare, much to the chagrin of some at sometimes (and you know, sometimes it makes me fun at a party).

Obviously, this is the ATTITUDE part of the my post. I should say, I'm not like this all the time. But I'm like this enough of the time that I realize that I either need a bunch more medicine or it's time to take a big swim in lake ME (stolen from this bit I saw Dana Gould [the part to which I refer starts at about 5:30] do one time). I want to get back to laughing stuff off more, and wishing I had lasers on my car to shoot at stupid drivers less.

Now that that's out of the way, how about some gratitude? You guys probably know about the Attitude of Gratitude Project, wherein for each of November's 30 days you mention something for which you're thankful. I already did a post about this on another blog last week, but I figured I should do something here on my real blog because really, can you talk too much about being grateful? I think not.

In order to stress how much there is for which to be grateful, even though I've already posted twenty things in other places, today I'm going to try to come with 21 MORE and DIFFERENT things. And yes, some are gonna be little things and I will hit the important stuff I already covered in one blurb because come on, a blog about being grateful without mentioning my kid, family, and friends? Ummm, no.

So this list is not necessarily in order, but here are 21 things for which I'm hella grateful:

1. My kid, my family (especially my mom), and my friends (especially the besties). Seriously. Pretty much all the rest means nothing without them. 
2. Regina Spektor's song "Firewood." I like it down to my soul.
3. Spell-check. Because sometimes words like "necessarily" make people with bachelor's degrees in English scratch their head.
4. Swiffer products. The sweeper vacuum thingy and the the WetJet... way better than a broom and a mop. I still use my broom, but seriously, when you live in a house with a cat who leaves tufts of hair all around like tiny little presents you are pretty grateful for the Swiffer vacuum sweeper thingy. Okay, I looked it up, Sweepervac, that's the one.
5. Fitocracy.com. Love this site onto which my BMSF turned me on because it makes me lift weights which is a great thing. You earn points for stuff you do and strength training earns a lot of points. 
6. Words With Friends on Facebook. Word games are fun. I say the same thing about Scrabble but the people who make it succumbed to that "it wasn't broken so let's fix it and make it sort of suck" disease that Facebook also tends to catch sometimes.
7. Facebook. For real. People easily blow it off but it's a fanflippingtastic way to connect with people.
8. Netflix streaming. For someone addicted to television and who loves movies it's a wonderful thing.
9. Stop-motion Christmas movies like we (meaning people who are old like I am) watched when we were kids, specifically Santa Claus is Coming to Town and The Year Without a Santa Claus, featuring the Heat Miser and his brother the Snow Miser. I can't wait to bust those out this year.

Snow Miser and Heat Miser

10. Texting. I love to text.
11. Cooking shows and cooking competition shows. Top Chef, Next Iron Chef, Sandwich King, just to name a few.
12. Trader Joe's and Target. My shopping places. They make it so that I rarely have to go to the grocery store. Granted, I am missing out on eating a lot of different stuff but I guess I'm sort of boring that way.
13. Antacid. The kind that last for many hours which is probably bad for me for so many reasons but I'm sorry, I'm still really glad it exists.
14. Books! And I love so much that my kid loves to read and loves to have me read to her. We're reading Tangled right now, a novelization of the movie (which we love), and it not only follows along with the movie but it's actually really well-written, and I love it when she says, "One more chapter, PLEASE?" Good times.
15. Cheese. I eat too much of it, but it's so good and there are so many kinds of cheese, wonderful cheese.
16. Email hoarding. Okay, in general this is really bad. But it also allows me to go back and find things that made me laugh or smile or to remind me of when certain things happened since my memory SUCKS. Yes, I seriously have 9,416 unread emails in my box right now which no doubt, is ridiculous. I will work on that.
17. My car. I really love it very very very much. It's my most favorite car ever and if it ever doesn't work anymore I hope I get the latest edition of the same car.
18. Christmas music. I am started listening to it last week because I'm a freak like that.


Straight No Chaser's Holiday Spirits album is what I'm playing in the car presently

19. Yelp. I look on there for reviews of all kinds of stuff, especially restaurants because I heart food.
20. England. Because I love people with English accents, especially when they are in TV shows and movies. And then there's Pride and Prejudice, my favorite book. 
21. Blogger. I'm thankful I have a place to write what I'm thinking about and share it with you guys. 






No comments: